Crow Wing Energized has awarded more than $22,000 through Healthy Community Grants to support efforts to move our community to a place where the healthy choice is the easy choice. Recent grant recipients include:
- Brainerd Public Library for a seed library
- The Center in Brainerd for a wellness program called The Center Energized
- City of Brainerd for trail way finding signage
Grant applications to Crow Wing Energized, a grassroots community movement led by Essentia Health and Crow Wing County to improve health and wellness in our community by making healthy choices essential, continue to be accepted.
Organization criteria for applying includes serving or located within Crow Wing County, including but not limited to: neighborhood, youth, or environmental groups; faith-based organizations; health care organizations; civic or citizens’ associations; economic development agencies; local government entities; local businesses; school districts and other similar groups. Applicants are not required to be incorporated 501(c)3 organizations.
Applicant projects need to align with the Crow Wing Energized guiding principles as well as Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) SHIP’s financial guide:
- Creating and sustaining a united approach to improving health and wellness in Crow Wing County
- Collaboration towards solutions with multiple stakeholders (e.g. schools, worksites, medical centers) to improve community engagement and commitment focused on improving community health
- Being anchored in evidence based efforts around greatest community good that can be achieved through available resources.
The Healthy Community Grants are made available through Statewide Health Improvement Program (SHIP) funding that was awarded to Crow Wing Energized. Grant applications are reviewed monthly by the Crow Wing Energized Community Leadership Team and Goal Groups:
Healthy Choices goal group develops sustainable strategies and encourages healthy choices by increasing access to healthy foods, increasing active living opportunities, and helping to promote and support the healthy environments.
Mental Fitness goal group encourages and equips citizens in achieving and maintaining mental fitness by building networks throughout the county for achieving resilience, increasing the practice of intentional choices to help reduce stress and anxiety, and educating our communities to increase the knowledge of mental fitness so it will help to make positive choices regarding their overall health.
Workplace Wellness goal group helps to create a healthy and energized workforce by increasing employee satisfaction, maximizing productivity, minimizing absenteeism, and helping to reduce health care costs.