It’s time to start talking about mental illness.
I pledge to Make It OK!
I will do my part to erase the stigma surrounding mental illness by:
- TELLING others how common mental illness is.
- WATCHING for mental illness injustice.
- TALKING openly about mental illness.
- ENCOURAGING others to sign this pledge.
How do we stop stigma? Conversation.
Try these simple tips for talking.
- “Thanks for opening up to me.”
- “Is there anything I can do to help?”
- “How can I help?”
- “Thanks for sharing.”
- “I’m sorry to hear that. It must be tough.”
- “I’m here for you when you need me.”
- “I can’t imagine what you’re going through.”
- “People do get better.”
- “Oh man, that sucks.”
- “Can I drive you to an appointment?”
- “How are you feeling today?”
- “I love you.”
- “It could be worse.”
- “Snap out of it.”
- “Everyone feels that way sometimes.”
- “We’ve all been there.”
- “Pull yourself together.”
- “What’s wrong with you?”
- “Try thinking happy thoughts.”
Crow Wing Energized is advocating Make It OK as a community effort to reduce mental health stigma. Community outreach, education and personal stories are helping to dispel myths and conversations. Everyone has the ability to Make it OK to talk about mental illness and stop the stigma. Please join the efforts to stop stigma in our communities.